- All the aesthetascs project beyond the anterior margin of the head shield.
- Males use olfactory organs ( aesthetascs ) on their antennnules to detect soluble female sex pheromones ( distance pheromones ).
- It exhibits nine terminal aesthetascs, the two longest being about 2 / 3 the length of the antennule itself.
- The male will then'taste'the female's contact pheromones with his aesthetascs to make sure she is a suitable mate.
- The postanal margin of the postabdomen is provided with 8 to 9 groups of tiny aesthetascs, one of which is 1.5 times longer and thicker than the rest, even longer than the antennula itself.