- The most important of these are southern marsh orchids, grey club rush and wild basil.
- The southern meadow unusually contains sea club rush due to the saline ground water found in the area.
- Students are able to join the Creek Crazies through Club Rush, which takes place during the 1st quarter of the school year.
- Each year GBHS hosts'Club Rush'- an event located in the school's media center that allows incoming freshman and sophomore students to learn more about the current clubs available.
- It was named in honour of the first chairman of the Swan River Conservation Board, which was formed in 1959 . The island has a stand of flooded gum and a fringing community of shorerush and lake club rush.