- In the past, the group was composed of 30 Commissaire divisionnaire de Police was alternately in charge.
- The first GIPN was created on 27 October 1972 in Marseille by the commissaire divisionnaire Georges Nguyen Van Loc and could only intervene at the request of judges or prosecutors.
- Later, Jules accidentally comes into possession of an audio cassette with the recorded testimony of a prostitute, Nadia, which exposes a senior police officer, " Commissaire divisionnaire"
- Between 1994 and 1996, he was chief of the Criminal Brigade, before rising to commissaire divisionnaire and heading the BRB . From 2000, he supervised the Criminal Brigade at the Direction de la police judiciaire at the Prefecture of Police.
- A " commissaire " may be promoted to " commissaire divisionnaire " ( a rank which existed in the Paris Police and the Mobile Brigades from the early 20th century ), and thence to the higher ranks of the service.