- The farriers became leaseholders and got demise charters ruling all rights and duties.
- The giving up of possession of the ship by the owner is the defining characteristic of a bareboat or demise charter.
- In a bare-boat or demise charter, on the other hand, the owner gives possession of the ship to the charterer and the charterer hires its own master and crew.
- A "'bareboat charter "'or "'demise charter "'is an arrangement for the rent the vessel from the owner are responsible for taking care of such things.
- For example, in a class on ship's business, an instructor might break the class down into groups, and assign groups to work on articles such as " bareboat charter ", " demise charter ", " time charter ", and " voyage charter " to supplement their usual classwork.