- The Guwahati Refinery is the most important manufacturing industry in the city.
- Guwahati Refinery as is known was started on January 1, 1962.
- The INDMAX unit also enables Guwahati Refinery to upgrade all its residual products to high value distillate products and make it a zero residue Refinery.
- The third major corridor extends towards the east ( around 15 km from the city-center ) linking Noonmati ( Guwahati Refinery ) and Narengi, and has facilitated residential growth along it.
- With growing environmental consciousness, Guwahati Refinery, Indian Oil Corporation Limited has also ventured into ecologically friendly fuel and subsequently installed 3 new units : the ISOSIV, the Hydrotreater and the INDMAX . The ISOSIV unit produces Lead Free Petrol by the Molecular Sieve Technology, which separates Octane rich MS components from feed naphtha.