- "Guwen Guanzhi " was first and foremost produced as a practical study aid.
- Analysis shows that the composition of " Guwen Guanzhi " is heavily based on a former anthology produced by an altogether different compiler.
- "Guwen Guanzhi " was compiled and edited by Wu Chucai and Wu Diaohou, who at the time of the publication were working as teachers in a private village school in Shaoxing.
- Instead, altogether almost 90 % of the texts in " Guwen Guanzhi " originate from another Qing era anthology, " Guwen xiyi " ( 銼噀恎? ), often copied character by character.
- In its own time, " Guwen Guanzhi's " main assets were its ideal size ( in terms of number and length of the selected texts ), the relative comprehensiveness of its selection, lack of an overly moralistic or tendentious approach, and good notes and comments.