- Next comes the " Reflector / Neutron Gun Carriage ".
- The neutron guns are tilted so the neutron emitting end of each gun end is pointed towards the central axis of the bomb.
- Neutrons from each neutron gun pass through and are focused by the neutron focus lens towards the centre of primary in order to boost the initial fissioning of the plutonium.
- There are about six neutron guns ( seen here from Sandia National Laboratories ) each poking through the outer edge of the reflector with one end in each section; all are clamped to the carriage and arranged more or less evenly around the casing's circumference.
- They are labeled " end-cap and neutron focus lens, " " reflector / neutron gun carriage, " and " reflector wrap . " The origin of the drawing, posted on the internet by Greenpeace, is uncertain, and there is no accompanying explanation.