- spleen enlargement can be found, but are not always associated with hepatic or splenic abscesses.
- Another study showed a case with a diagnosis of sympathetic empyema that was likely secondary to splenic abscess.
- The empyema responded well to treatments however the splenic abscess required three weeks of drainage before the abscess resolved.
- Complications include a ruptured spleen, hemorrhage, splenic abscess ( for example, if the underlying cause is endocarditis ) or pseudocyst formation.
- Intra-abdominal infection ( including liver and / or splenic abscesses, or prostatic abscesses ) do not usually present with focal pain, and imaging of these organs using ultrasound or computed tomography should be performed routinely.