- Tomu Sione was appointed as Speaker of the parliament.
- Tomu Sione was re-elected to represent Niutao and Taui Finikaso was re-elected to represent Vaitupu.
- Following independence Tomu Sione was elected to represent the constituency of Niutao in the Parliament of Tuvalu in the elections held on 27 August 1977.
- Tuvalu's ambassador to Fiji, Enele Sapoaga, confirmed Thursday that the vote, which took place the day before, was 7-4 against Paeniu, with speaker Tomu Sione abstaining.
- The 2015 election was strongly contested with 6 candidates including the two incumbent MPs ( Vete Sakaio and Fauoa Maani ) and three former MPs ( Sir Tomu Sione, Tavau Teii and Teo ).