- Bernadou responded with Winslow's 1 pounders, and then enemy batteries ashore joined the deadly contest.
- This was the first US destroyer class to mount anti-aircraft guns : two 1 pounder ( 37 mm ) autocannons.
- There was also an anti-aircraft battery in the town, manned with 1 pounder and later a 12-pounder gun.
- The "'QF 1 pounder "', universally known as the "'pom-pom "'due to the sound of its discharge, was a 37 mm British autocannon, the first of its type in the world.
- The General Officers now summoned the Company Officers together to consult on what to bestow on the Company as a reward of bravery and good conduct; they had in contemplation to give a 1 pounder French gun beautifully mounted, but the officers of the Company and the Commanding Officer of the Royal Artillery knowing the Company was to return to Halifax, and that a war was likely to take place with America, where they could not take the gun with them, they chose the axe and a brass drum; a brass eagle was fixed to the axe, which was carried by the tallest man in the Company on all parades, shifting of quarters, etc .; the man who carried the axe had to wear a moustache . " "'