- However in the 1980s a new concept appeared, starting with the Sydney Harbour 18ft Skiff fleet.
- Other sailboats ( such as the 18ft Skiff ) can make good downwind at speeds faster than the wind.
- This event is effectively the world championships for the spectacular 18ft Skiff class and is contested each year on Sydney Harbour.
- One of the greatest 18ft Skiff sailors of all time, Dave won only one Giltinan Championship but had the unenviable record of being runner-up on six occasions.
- Appliances Online also has a sailing team which includes an 18ft Skiff, 2 International Moth ( dinghy ) s, a 29er ( boat ) skiff and a Farr 30 ( yacht ).
- The skiff classes developed to become much lighter and faster with relatively smaller ( but still very large by any other standards ) rigs and smaller crews . 12ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, and 18ft Skiff classes are raced in that form.
- Bob Holmes and his Travelodge team returned to their consistent best to take out title number four at Auckland in 1971 but the writing was on the wall that the Bruce Farr design was starting to become a real force in 18ft skiff racing and New Zealand were about to make a comeback.