- All of these materials have breaking lengths of several hundred kilometers under 1 " g ".
- For comparison, metals like titanium, steel or aluminium alloys have carbon / graphite fibre have breaking lengths of 100 400 km.
- The Leyland Olympian, the first air-conditioned double-decker bus, named the " Superbus " in recognition of its record-breaking length, was launched in 1993.
- CCTs have a tensile strength of 7 GPa, and a high specific strength ( tensile strength per density ), and a breaking length of 6, 000 km.
- He made ones that were five to six yards longer in practice, but didn't learn of the record-breaking length until going into a television booth for a postgame interview.
- Nanoengineered materials such as carbon nanotubes and, more recently discovered, graphene ribbons ( perfect two-dimensional sheets of carbon ) are expected to have breaking lengths of 5000 6000 km at sea level, and also are able to conduct electrical power.
- Many other charitable longboard journeys have taken place, including Nat Halliday et al's skate of the length of New Zealand in 2007, Sam Benson's Beatswalkin'journey from Devon, England, to Barcelona, Spain, in 2007, and Ben Stiff's record-breaking length of Britain skate in 2008.
- Another way to describe specific strength is "'breaking length "', also known as "'self support length "': the maximum length of a vertical column of the material ( assuming a fixed cross-section ) that could suspend its own weight when supported only at the top.
- One laboratory test indicated a breaking length of 11, 525 m ( 37, 800 ft ), a tensile strength of 10.2 kgf / 15 mm ( 38.1 lbf / in ), and a count of 836 folds using the Massachusetts Institute of Technology paper folding tester ( 1 kg or 2.2 lb ).