- Synthetically, it is very useful to form C 3-bridged compounds such as through C-N coupling reactions.
- Bridged compounds may be fully carbocyclic ( all carbon ) or heterocyclic ( having one or more non-carbon atoms ).
- "' Bicyclo [ 1.1 . 1 ] pentane "'is an organic compound, the simplest member of the bicyclic bridged compounds family.
- The radical mechanism starts with abstraction of the hydrogen atom from the substrate to form QH ( the rate determining step ), hydroxyl bridged compound Q and the free alkyl radical.
- Although sketches of organic structures may make bridged compounds appear planar, they are not; for instance, comparing the 3D ball-and-stick model of norbornane at left, with the image shown at right, makes clear the bridging ring ensures that the molecule is not planar.
- The presence of the bridge connecting the bridgehead atoms, which are most often two non-adjacent atoms, distinguishes bridged compounds from " fused ring compounds " that have two rings linked by two adjacent atoms, and from spiro compounds that have two rings linked by a single atom.
- A "'bridged compound "'is a chemical compound, generally an organic compound, but also possibly inorganic, that has two or more rings ( a ring system ) that contains a " bridge " a single atom or an unbranched chain of atoms ( or even just a valence bond ) that connect two " bridgehead " atoms.