- A variable number of Fordyce spots or granules are scattered throughout the non keratinized tissue.
- Fordyce spots, or Fordyce granules, are ectopic sebaceous glands found on the genitals and oral mucosa.
- In the latter, the most common site for Fordyce spots is the lower gingiva ( gums ) and vestibular mucosa.
- Success varies per patient, but some have found relief from pulsed dye lasers, a laser normally used to treat sebaceous gland hyperplasia, which is similar to Fordyce spots.
- Sebaceous glands on the lip and mucosa of the cheek, and on the genitalia, are known as Fordyce spots, and glands on the eyelids are known as meibomian glands.
- A surgical treatment using a Micro-punch technique has shown to be an effective method that achieved very satisfactory functional and cosmetic results in patient that have multiple and / or very prominent fordyce spots.