- Patients with polycythemia vera are more likely to have gouty arthritis.
- Use of azathioprine as an alternative has shown to reduce the incidence of gouty arthritis.
- Numerous consensus guidelines, and previous randomized controlled trials, had concluded that colchicine is effective for acute flares of gouty arthritis.
- It is essential that the overproduction of uric acid be controlled in order to reduce the risk of nephropathy, nephrolithiasis, and gouty arthritis.
- Monosodium urate crystals are seen in gout / gouty arthritis and appear as needle-shaped negatively birefringent crystals varying in length from 2 to 20 祄.
- Common causes of bone and joint pain in adults, such as osteoarthritis and gouty arthritis are rare in children, as these diseases are a sequelae of chronic wear and tear for several years.
- Seegmiller's laboratory team at NIH went on to discover that some men have partial HGPRT deficiency that causes high levels of uric acid in the blood and leads to the development of gouty arthritis and the formation of uric acid stones in the urinary tract.
- The specific diseases and conditions where it used include gouty arthritis, skin tophi, kidney stones idiopathic gout; uric acid lithiasis; acute uric acid nephropathy; neoplastic disease and myeloproliferative disease with high cell turnover rates, in which high urate levels occur either spontaneously, or after cytotoxic therapy; certain enzyme disorders which lead to overproduction of urate, for example : hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyl transferase, including Lesch-Nyhan syndrome; glucose-6-phosphatase including glycogen storage disease; phosphoribosyl pyrophosphate synthetase, phosphoribosyl pyrophosphate amidotransferase; adenine phosphoribosyl transferase.