- The top feels damp because it was an oiled finish.
- And, alas, an oiled finish cannot be cleaned except by dry mopping or vacuuming.
- Q . When the painters did the interior of my house, they painted boiled linseed oil on several oiled finishes.
- The nice thing about an oiled finish is that oil can be applied, rubbed, and removed at any time you feel like it.
- A . Any of those finishes is good, and any can be used on a previously oiled finish, no matter what the oil is.
- If that works, you will probably restain the entire floor; then apply two coats of an oil-based polyurethane varnish over the oiled finish; the longer the oil has been on and in the wood, the better the varnishing will work.