- It photographs slices of the brain, detecting which areas are active by tracking oxygen metabolism.
- Some think a byproduct of oxygen metabolism _ free radicals _ could be toxic to memory brain cells.
- It scavenges free radicals, the destabilizing byproducts of oxygen metabolism that also seem to multiply in damaged cells.
- He published his first scientific paper, about carbon dioxide and oxygen metabolism in plants, with Deh閞ain in 1874.
- Some of these " insults, " or injuries, are caused by free radicals, the destructive byproducts of oxygen metabolism.
- These estimates are, however, unmindful of every living cell's natural repair mechanisms, evolved over a few billion years of exposure to environmental chemical and radiation threats that were higher in the past, and exaggerated by the evolution of oxygen metabolism.
- The genes ( " EPAS1 ", " EGLN1 ", and " PPARA " ) function in concert with another gene named hypoxia inducible factors ( " HIF " ), which in turn is a principal regulator of red blood cell production ( erythropoiesis ) in response to oxygen metabolism.