- When an electric current passes through, the bridge is heated to incandescence and ignites the priming composition.
- This bridge is surrounded by a priming composition of guncotton dust and mealed powder and the remainder of the tube is filled with powder.
- The most common of such derivatives is tetrazene explosive ( commonly known simply as tetrazene ), which is used for sensitization of priming compositions.
- "' Tetrazene "'( 1-( 5-tetrazolyl )-3-guanyl tetrazene hydrate ) is an explosive material used for sensitization of the priming compositions.
- First used as a priming composition in small copper caps beginning in the 1820s, mercury fulminate quickly replaced flints as a means to ignite black powder charges in mercury for manufacture, supplies of which can be unreliable in wartime.