- The calculation of syndromes is the basis for the syndrome decoding algorithm.
- Other forms of decoding, such as syndrome decoding, are more efficient.
- Another advantage of BCH codes is the ease with which they can be decoded, namely, via an algebraic method known as syndrome decoding.
- Syndrome decoding technology was first used in distributed source coding by the DISCUS system of SS Pradhan and K Ramachandran ( Distributed Source Coding Using Syndromes ).
- The reason is simple : we know that each coset has a unique syndrome decoding associated with it, and if all bursts of different lengths occur in different cosets, then all have unique syndromes, facilitating error correction.
- Then, by investigating the unique connection between syndromes and complementary codewords of linear codes, they have translated the major steps of DSC joint decoding into syndrome decoding followed by channel encoding via a linear block code and also via its complement code, which theoretically illustrated a method of assembling a DSC joint decoder from linear code encoders and decoders.