発音記号：[ pɔint ] 読み方
動詞 過去形: pointed 動詞 過去分詞: pointed 名詞 複数形: points 動詞 現在分詞: pointing
- １point n. とがった先, 先端; 点; 段階, 程度; 評点; 地点, 突端, 岬; 問題点, 論点, 論旨; 目的, 意味; 要点; 長所; ささいな事項; 〔教育〕 単位; 〔海事〕 ポイント, 方位.【動詞＋】
- Our skaters will have to average 7.8 points to win the competition.
その競技会に勝つためには私たちのチームのスケート選手は平均で 7.8 点をあげなくてはならないだろう
- He developed these points in more detail in an article in the Economist.
- I don't want to labor the point, but let me repeat once more the need for consistency.
- My suggestion will lose its point if we don't discuss it in the present context.
- This base would provide the jumping-off point for manned flights to Mars.
- The situation has reached the point where it's now cheaper to buy a Japanese radio in New York or Hong Kong than in Japan.
- spot the point where we start to import a little less and export a little more
- In this case, it might be acceptable to stretch a point and ignore what has happened.
- Half a point will be taken off for a mistake in spelling, and a full point for any errors in grammar.
スペリングの誤り 1 つにつき 0.5 ポイント, 文法の誤りについてはまるまる 1 ポイント引かれます
- The artist's skillful use of natural materials was a deciding point for the judges.
- We have to decide a very delicate point in interpreting the rules.
- From a historical and archaeological point of view the value of the antique is quite priceless.
- interesting points of contrast and similarity in the histories and developments of…
- the sudden dropping of seven percentage points in the popularity rating of the President
大統領の支持率が(100 分の) 7 ポイント突然下降したこと
- It is mistaken in principle and unwise from a practical point of view.
- A government report linking crime and pornography has become the rallying point for feminists and other campaigning groups.
- Using these things as reference points, satellites can perceive minute changes in the earth's surface.
- Our capacity for new ideas has reached the saturation point.
- The opposition have scored several significant points in the current debate on the government's economic policy.
- Land's End is a cape in Cornwall, the most westerly point of England.
- At no point in human history has the environment been so severely threatened.
２point v. 指さす; さし向ける; 指示する, 指摘する.【副詞１】
- I make it a point to walk five miles a day. 1
日にかならず 5 マイル歩くことにしている.
- The cause was so obscure that nobody was able to point to it definitely.
- Mitterrand proudly pointed to the fruits of a three-year-old austerity policy.
ミッテランは 3 年におよぶ緊縮政策の成果を誇らしげに指摘した
- A policeman pointed with his nightstick to the graffiti on the wall.
- Our skaters will have to average 7.8 points to win the competition.
- a point a point一籌いっちゅう
- at a point 一点に［で］、ある点で（の）Now it's at a point where new personnel is needed. 今や新しい職員が必要とされる時期［時点］である。
- at that point あの時、その時
- at the point of 今にも～しそうで、まさに～しようとして、～するところだ、～しかけている、～しかかって、～の間際｛まぎわ｝でMy mother died on [at] the point of my marriage. 母は私の結婚を目前にして亡くなった。
- at this point ちょうど今、今現在、現時点｛げんじてん｝では、現段階｛げんだんかい｝では、この時点｛じてん｝で、今この瞬間｛しゅんかん｝に、ここで、ここに至って、今となっては、こうなると、これまでのところWhat do you want most at this moment [point] (in time)? 今一番欲しいものは何ですか？
- in point 適切｛てきせつ｝な、該当｛がいとう｝する、今問題になっていることの証明｛しょうめい｝となるようなLet me make a case in point for further explanation. より詳しく説明するために、適例を取り上げよう。
- in point of ～について、～にかけては、～に関しては、～の点で、～の点は
- in the point 先端｛せんたん｝に
- no point 意味｛いみ｝がないこと
- on that point その点について［おいて?関して］
- on the point トップの人気で
- on the point of on the point of間際まぎわ
- on this point この点について［おいて?関して］
- point at 指差す｛ゆびさす｝Don't point at others. 人を指さしてはいけない。
- point is 要は、要するに
- it seems difficult to catch up from this point on
- it passes what we call the thermal death point .
- he would point out the same thing iwachan did .
- they're essentially , to a point , attempts at planning
- and i went from the point of two people holding me up
- but obviously the point is that numbers are maps .
- she discovered the bands weak point in an instant !
- i want you there , joe , from the first point to the last .
- you didn't actually open your eyes at any point , did you ?
- well , no , it's a great point . it remains to be seen
- a contact in the distributor; as the rotor turns its projecting arm contacts them and current flows to the spark plugs
Synonyms: distributor point, breaker point,
- sharp end; "he stuck the point of the knife into a tree"; "he broke the point of his pencil"
- a wall socket
Synonyms: power point,
- the gun muzzle''s direction; "he held me up at the point of a gun"
- an outstanding characteristic; "his acting was one of the high points of the movie"
- a distinguishing or individuating characteristic; "he knows my bad points as well as my good points"
- the property of a shape that tapers to a sharp tip
- an isolated fact that is considered separately from the whole; "several of the details are similar"; "a point of information"
Synonyms: detail, item,
- a geometric element that has position but no extension; "a point is defined by its coordinates"
- the object of an activity; "what is the point of discussing it?"
- a distinct part that can be specified separately in a group of things that could be enumerated on a list; "he noticed an item in the New York Times"; "she had several items on her shopping list"; "the main point on the agenda was taken up first"
- a brief version of the essential meaning of something; "get to the point"; "he missed the point of the joke"; "life has lost its point"
- the dot at the left of a decimal fraction
Synonyms: decimal point, percentage point,
- a V-shaped mark at one end of an arrow pointer; "the point of the arrow was due north"
- a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations; "in England they call a period a stop"
Synonyms: period, full stop, stop, full point,
- the precise location of something; a spatially limited location; "she walked to a point where she could survey the whole street"
- a promontory extending out into a large body of water; "they sailed south around the point"
- one percent of the total principal of a loan; it is paid at the time the loan is made and is independent of the interest on the loan
- the unit of counting in scoring a game or contest; "he scored 20 points in the first half"; "a touchdown counts 6 points"
- a linear unit used to measure the size of type; approximately 1/72 inch
- a style in speech or writing that arrests attention and has a penetrating or convincing quality or effect
- any of 32 horizontal directions indicated on the card of a compass; "he checked the point on his compass"
Synonyms: compass point,
- a V shape; "the cannibal''s teeth were filed to sharp points"
Synonyms: tip, peak,
- a very small circular shape; "a row of points"; "draw lines between the dots"
- a specific identifiable position in a continuum or series or especially in a process; "a remarkable degree of frankness"; "at what stage are the social sciences?"
Synonyms: degree, level, stage,
- an instant of time; "at that point I had to leave"
Synonyms: point in time, Verb
- repair the joints of bricks; "point a chimney"
- give a point to; "The candles are tapered"
Synonyms: sharpen, taper,
- be a signal for or a symptom of; "These symptoms indicate a serious illness"; "Her behavior points to a severe neurosis"; "The economic indicators signal that the euro is undervalued"
Synonyms: bespeak, betoken, indicate, signal,
- indicate a place, direction, person, or thing; either spatially or figuratively; "I showed the customer the glove section"; "He pointed to the empty parking space"; "he indicated his opponents"
Synonyms: indicate, designate, show,
- indicate the presence of (game) by standing and pointing with the muzzle; "the dog pointed the dead duck"
- intend (something) to move towards a certain goal; "He aimed his fists towards his opponent''s face"; "criticism directed at her superior"; "direct your anger towards others, not towards yourself"
Synonyms: target, aim, place, direct,
- direct into a position for use; "point a gun"; "He charged his weapon at me"
Synonyms: charge, level,
- be positionable in a specified manner; "The gun points with ease"
- mark (a psalm text) to indicate the points at which the music changes
- mark with diacritics; "point the letter"
- mark (Hebrew words) with diacritics
- sail close to the wind
- direct the course; determine the direction of travelling
Synonyms: steer, maneuver, manoeuver, manoeuvre, direct, head, guide, channelize, channelise,
- be oriented; "The weather vane points North"; "the dancers toes pointed outward"